Skip to content

Thorshofn

During the 19th century ships started frequenting this harbour again.  The merchants of Keflavik often unloaded salt, timber and heavy merchandize there and loaded fish from the farmers of Midnes and Hafnir.  In the beginning of the 20th century the arrivals of ships diminished, because of the opening of the Sandgerdi harbour and a new trading post there.


Copy right: www.nat.is  Used by permission.

Thorshofn

Thorshofn

During the 19th century ships started frequenting this harbour again.  The merchants of Keflavik often unloaded salt, timber and heavy merchandize the
Gallow cliffs in Stafnes

Gallow cliffs in Stafnes

Place of execution according to an old folk story.  Cliffs, two of which are quite high, with an inlet several fathoms deep between them. A tree betw
The cod war at Básendar and Grindavík

The cod war at Básendar and Grindavík

Basendar

Basendar

An ancient fishing outfit and a trading post just south of Stafnes. It was one of the harbours of the Danish Trade Monopoly posts comprising Hafnir,
Kirkjuvogur

Kirkjuvogur

Kirkjuvogur (Church Cove) was a mansion in Hafnir, an annexed church site of the Grindavik parish, which was long served by the reverends of Utskalar.
Settlement

Settlement

The first Icelandic settlers, who came to Iceland around 874 AD, were chiefly of Nordic extraction, mostly from the west coast of Norway. In Iceland t
Hafnir

Hafnir

The town Hafnir owns the second most land in the Reykjanes peninsula and takes its name from two large farms Sandhöfn and Kirkjuhöfn which are now des
Stafnes

Stafnes

Stafnes was a mansion in the past.  There were many fishing outfits on the property and many people lived there during the fishing seasons.  Royal fis
Ósar

Ósar

Inlet created because of a subsidence. Important for birdlife and marine biology.  Location: Near small village Hafnir - short walk from road 44
Hallgrímur Pétursson

Hallgrímur Pétursson

Hallgrímur (1614-74), regarded as Iceland's greatest religious poet, is best known for his Hymns of the Passion. First published in 1666, the Hymns of
The Church at Hvalsnes

The Church at Hvalsnes

The church at Hvalsnes was consecrated in 1887. Ketill Ketilsson farmer and ship owner at Kotvogur, who then owned the land at Hvalsnes financed the b
Junkaragerdi

Junkaragerdi

Junkaragerdi was a farm just north of the Hafnarberg Cliffs.  Its name was probably derived from 12-18 foreigner, who lived there, and were called "Ju

Kalmanstjorn

Kalmanstjorn is an abandoned farm, a former mansion to the south of Lake Kalmanstjorn, where there are still some ruins reminding of the habitation, w

Other (1)

Joe and the Juice Keflavíkurflugvöllur 235 Reykjanesbær 4313849