Skip to content
Kálfatjarnakirkja
The first mention of a church on Kálfatjörn can be dated to the year 1200 but the current church in Kálfatjörn was consecrated in 1893 and was the largest rural church in the country when it was built. Guðmundur Jakobsson designed the church and was the carpenter, but the woodwork and carving by Þorkell Jónsson, a farmer in Móakot. The altarpiece is a replica of the Cathedral table and was painted by Sigurður Guðmundsson in 1866 and shows the resurrection.
The Church at Útskálar
Einar Jónsson from Brúarhraun (1818-1891) built the foundation of the church which was consegrated in 1863. The interior of the church was painted and decorated by Áki Gränz a master painter. The church is preserved and has a modern tower design. It is made from wood. One of the most tragic events in Icelandic sea history is connected to the church. On the 8th of March 1685, 156 fishermen drowned at sea in a storm by Reykjanes. Many of them were from North Iceland stationed in the region during the main fishing season. On the 11th March 42 were buried in the church´s graveyard and the next day another 47 bodies drifted ashore in Garður and were also buried in the same mass grave.
The Church at Hvalsnes
The church at Hvalsnes was consecrated in 1887. Ketill Ketilsson farmer and ship owner at Kotvogur, who then owned the land at Hvalsnes financed the building of the church. The church is preserved and is completely built of carved stone collected from the local plentiful area of rock. All of the wood in the interior was collected from the shores nearby. Extensive repairs were made to the church in 1945 under the supervision of the architect of the state. One of the most remarkable items of the church is the gravestone of Steinunn Hallgrímsdóttir who died when she was 4 years old in 1649. She was the daughter of Hallgrímur Pétursson Iceland's most important psalmist which at that time served as a priest at the parish in Hvalsnes. The gravestone was lost for a long time but was discovered again in 1964 but it had been used as a part of a walkway leading to the church.The church is still operating today and fits 100 people. 
The Old Church in Grindavík
The old chruch in Grindavík was consecrated in 1909 and was in use until 12th of september in 1982 when it was desecrated. From 1989 to 2001 the curch was used as a daycare center untill the Kindergarten Krókur opened. Refrence: Ferlir 
The Church in Innri-Njarðvík
By the initiative of Ásbjörn Ólafsson, a farmer in Innri-Njarðvík, a church was built on the location. The church was consegrated in 1886 and is made from carved rock which was brought from the shore nearby and the heath above the inhabitated area. Magnús Magnússon (1842-1887) organized the carving of the rocks. One of the three clocks in the churchtower is an ancient clock made in 1725. The Church in Innri-Njarðvík is preserved.
The Church in Ytri-Njarðvík
The Church in Ytri-Njarðvík was opened on April 19th, 1979. The church was designed by two architects, Ormar Þór Guðmundsson and Örnólfur Hall. The church is 400 square meters and has a 108 square meter basement. It has seating for 230 people in the main area but it can be extended to 330 if needed. http://www.njardvikurkirkja.is/  Phone: +354 421 5013
Keflavíkurkirkja / Keflavik Church
Keflavik Church was built in 1914 and designed by Rögnvaldur Ólafsson.  Opening hours:  Mondays - Thursdays: 10:00 - 12:00 & 13:00 - 15:00 Fridays: 10:00 - 12:00 Website: www.keflavikurkirkja.is  Phone: +354 420 4300